Friday, January 5, 2018

My Body: An Amazing Thing

As I stand at Week 34 of what will be my final pregnancy, I am amazed and awe-stricken about what my body has done and can do. This baby boy growing inside it now is the third to be housed in my womb.

Who taught my body to grow children?

On its own, my body nurtures and supplies for the growing child. It knows how to expand and grow to fit the baby, and from experience, it knows how to return to its previous state. Perhaps with a bit of extra skin, and a few tell-tale markers, but there will be a return.

And I am so thankful. I have abused this body, cursed it for what it isn’t, despised it. But in all honesty, it is a most incredible and powerful thing. It has gained and lost, it has hurt and healed, it has carried me to amazing places and spent beautiful afternoons at rest. It has run and skipped and swung and danced. It has served me so well. On it, you will find memories that I will always carry. One of a bicycle wreck across the top of my right foot, one of a tooth through my bottom lip, a couple of intentional memories forged in ink, marks across my legs and stomach to remind me of the beautiful lives that grew inside. This body. This strong, incredible body. It will take me the rest of the way. It will carry me into my last days. And I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment